Pages

3/08/2014

Interviewed by Japanese Newspaper "NY Japion"



Sound of My Life

Akiko Tsuruga (Hammond Organist)
By Kasumi Abe


"There is no limit in combining notes. This instrument can reflect my honest feelings." Akiko Tsuruga expresses about the charm of a Hammond organ. Right hand for melody line, and left for base. The popped sounds spread out warmly from her fingers conducting on the keyboards.
                 
What changed my life

Akiko started playing electric organ at the age of 3. After her graduation from a music college, she encountered a Hammond organ. "There was a place called Don Shop in Osaka, where musicians were hanging out. I used to play there, as many talents stopped by after their gigs at Blue Note across the street meanwhile. One day, I played this organ. I was feeling like it was just a perfect fit to my hands." She later met her mentor, Dr. Lonnie Smith there.
"When I followed an advise of a drummer, Grady Tate, one time, something new happened in my play." It was Grady who encouraged Akiko to make a musical career in NYC.
Although originally planned only for a year, it has actually turned out to be getting along in the city for almost thirteen years. She had a great start with gaining a regular stage at the old-time famous jazz club, Showman's, within 4 months since her arrival in NY. However, the competitive world gradually put pressure on her at the same time.

Joy after the sand storm

"My mind was not peaceful as I cheered myself up to take up my stand among other musicians." It was those time when she heard the owner of Showman's saying that she had been convincing herself all right if she could make one customer out of ten understood in her business. That cleared her up, and she got to be able to think how to focus on her music.
"I'm enjoying now," said Akiko. "But, that sand storm period brought me a necessary opportunity to look into myself." 
"Show your life to the music." This is Dr. Lonnie Smith's words to Akiko. "Those who are in the lead need to try hard and should be strong. I'd like to be such a player someday."
She glows with joy acquired through the various experiences as she plays the organ.  

  Translated by Mihoko Naito

No comments: